Yes, I understand it’s the most important meal of the day and all but who has the time to make breakfast now days?
And who has the energy? I can’t even function before I have a bottle of Starbucks Frappuccino let alone make breakfast.
So on those days (which is basically everyday) I open up my freezer and see what I have in there.
Normally when I make pancakes I make a double even triple batch and freeze the extras.
Pancakes not only freeze beautifully but also reheat in a pinch. About 90 seconds in the microwave and breakfast is served.
For those of you who want to freeze pancakes but don’t know how here’s how I do it: I make the pancakes and place them on an aluminum foil covered baking sheet and let them cool. Once cooled I transfer the baking sheet to the freezer and flash freeze them for about 30 to 45 mins. Then I transfer the pancakes to individual freezer zip lock bags, label the bags and return to the freezer. Super easy and then you have pancakes for breakfasts to come. Other things that are great frozen are waffles, French toast and muffins.
- Stars: 5
- Level: Easy
- Comments: Loved these pancakes! They are fluffy and sweet with chunks of bananas, chocolate chips and pecans.
- Negatives: None
- Will I make these again? Most definitely!
Chunky Monkey Pancakes
Makes about 10 pancakes
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tbsp. melted butter (used unsalted)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large bananas, diced
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, optional
- Preheat a skillet or griddle to medium heat.
- In a bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.
- In a separate bowl whisk together buttermilk, butter, eggs and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine. Mixture will be lumpy.
- Fold in the bananas, chocolate chips and pecans.
- Drop 1/4 cup of batter on the griddle and cook until little bubbles form on the surface of the pancake.
- Flip and cooked until browned.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve with chocolate syrup, whipped cream, chocolate chips and pecan pieces.