And pretty much anything that is Mexican food. Period.
But wanna know something funny? I didn’t eat any traditional Mexican food when I was in Mexico…not even once.
I know how crazy is that? It’s just that we were staying in a fancy shmancy resort that had about 8 different gourmet restaurants of which only 1 was Mexican food.
But it was definitely not the Mexican food I had in mind. I was expecting some comforting enchiladas, tamales, quesadillas, fish tacos things like that. Instead I got some cornbread pie-like dish with steak and some fried cactus. I mean it was delicious and totally different but soo not what I had in mind. So mental note next time make sure to go eat in town at least once.
And speaking of Mexico, can I get transported there like right now? It was amazing.
Even though we have 2 upcoming trips (PA and Chicago) I just can’t stop thinking about it.
Cancun in January? I don’t see why not…
Anyways moving on to this recipe!
Comments: This was amazing! Very easy to prepare and you can have it on your dinner table in no time! Extremely flavor, the level of spice is perfect, spicy but not overpowering. Normally I associated spaghetti with Italian food and marinara sauce but this is a very nice different spin on pasta! We loved it and I’ll definitely put it in our rotation!
Negatives: Absolutely None.
Will I make it again? Most definitely!
Tips: I usually don’t like pasta leftovers because the sauce tends to dry out but this was awesome reheated! Nice and saucy and maybe even better than the first day 🙂
Chicken Enchilada Spaghetti
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- pinch of cayenne
- 1 lb grilled chicken, diced
- 8 oz whole wheat spaghetti
- 10oz can red enchilada sauce
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar, grated
- parsley and extra cheddar for garnish
- Boil pasta according to package instructions.
- While pasta is cooking make the sauce:
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add oil.
- Add the onion and pepper and cook until soft about 5 mins.
- Add garlic and cook for 30sec.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, pepper, cayenne, chicken and enchilada sauce.
- Let the sauce heat up for a minute then turn the heat down to low.
- Drain the cooked pasta and add to the sauce.
- Add the cheese to the sauce and stir to combine.
- Let the cheese melt and serve the pasta with parsley and extra shredded cheddar on top.
Adapted from: HowSweetEats