Baked beans is pretty much my favorite side dish.
So I made this side dish to go with the Scrumpitious grilled chicken and it was a match made in heaven! Gah I still can’t get over how good that chicken was… But these beans definitely hold their own. Sweet and tangy, very easy to prepare and best part you get use your crockpot 🙂 Crowd pleaser for sure! And the leftovers, well let me just tell you, you are going to be hoping there are leftovers. Because they are soo good you want them all to yourself. In fact make a big batch just for you. And eat it out of your crockpot with a spoon and some crusty French bread. I won’t judge.
Comments: Semi-homemade, perfect baked beans. It all starts with a can of Bush’s baked beans crazy right? But then you add pinto, butter, red kidney beans and you make a sweet and tangy brown sugar/onion sauce. You combine it in your crockpot, add some cooked bacon to the mix and in about 3hrs you have outstanding baked beans.
Negatives: For those of you who don’t like using canned goods, this recipe is probably not for you. But since I don’t mind I though it was awesome!
Will I make it again? Definitely!!! This will be my go-to baked beans recipe.
LumberJack Baked Beans
- 8 slices bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar (can use apple cider instead)
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 15oz can butter beans, rinsed
- 15oz can pinto beans, rinsed
- 15oz can red kidney beans, rinsed
- 20oz Bush’s Homestyle Baked Beans
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat.
- Once hot, add the bacon and cook until crispy.
- Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate and discard most of the bacon fat.
- Add the onion to the hot skillet and sauté until translucent.
- Add the brown sugar, rice vinegar, dry mustard, ginger, salt and pepper let it come to a low boil then turn the heat down and simmer for 10mins.
- To your crockpot add the Bush’s baked beans, pinto, butter and kidney beans. Add the brown sugar glaze and bacon and stir to combine.
- Cook on LOW for 3hrs.
Adapted from: JamieCooksItUp